When you hear the word corporate, what do you think of it? For many people, it summons the images of professional workers. But just because something has corporate in the name doesn’t mean it needs to be stuffy and formal. In fact, these five lessons I’ve learned from corporate pronunciation will show you that some elements of the business can actually be quite fun!
1) People pay attention
People pay attention to the way you speak, how you dress and how you hold yourself. That’s why it is important to know what corporate pronunciation is and how it can affect your profession. It’s not just about pronouncing words correctly, but also about using correct grammar. You need to have a clear understanding of how and when to use homophones (two or more words with the same sound). For example, there/their/they’re, its/it’s. These are all easy mistakes that are often made by those who are unaware of corporate pronunciation rules.
2) Have patience
Sometimes it takes many tries to get a word right. But each time you try, the word will start to make sense in your mouth. And even if it doesn’t make perfect sense, the more you say it out loud, the better your chances are that someone else will have an idea of what you’re trying to say. If they don’t know what you’re trying to say, then at least they’ll know that you’re trying hard and be patient with you. Be open-minded: You never know how much somebody’s accent is limiting their opportunities until you understand how much easier life would be without one. Work with the sounds they use, instead of trying to force them into words they’re not comfortable saying. Have humility: The world isn’t going to stop speaking English just because you’re embarrassed by your accent or feel shame for speaking another language incorrectly. Help people understand where you come from and show appreciation for their willingness to listen.
3) Go with the flow
1. A lot of people will tell you what to do, but few will actually help you.
2. Be prepared for a lot of people who want to be your friend for 15 minutes and then disappear when the next opportunity comes up.
3. Don’t try to change the way things are just because it doesn’t suit you – if the company is successful at something, there’s likely a reason why they do it that way.
4. If someone says I’m happy or I’m good and means it, don’t bother trying to analyze them further.
5. You may not like all aspects of your job, but as long as you can find one thing about it that you enjoy every day, then there’s still hope for making it through another year. Most days, I learn more in a few hours than I could ever get out of a book or classroom. People who walk into our offices seem shocked by how un-corporate we really are. No stuffy suits and buttoned-up personalities here; instead we’re all rocking jeans, sneakers, and t-shirts.so, you should always try to go with the flow, things will start falling in places.
4) Accent reduction only comes with practice
Accent reduction only comes with practice. You can’t just read about it, you have to do it over and over again for hours. That’s the key to it really sinking in. It’s like any other skill, the more you use it, the better you’ll get at it. You don’t even realize how much your accent is coming out until you go back and listen to yourself on recordings.
5) Speak confidently
1) The best way to pronounce a word is to speak it with confidence. It’s better to sound like you know what you are talking about than to struggle over the pronunciation.
2) The context of the sentence can change how a word is pronounced and how it should be spelled.
3) Use your ears and mouth to help figure out how the word is said, not just the spelling on paper.
4) Learn the pronunciation by listening and reading along as often as possible.
5) You can learn and practice English speaking online with a personal trainer at your convenient time through “EngConvo”.
“EngConvo” provides you one on one interactive spoken English classes as per your requirement. You can take videos as well as audio classes through Zoom\Skype\Google meet. Here your trainer identifies your mistakes in the conversation and gives you instant feedback. They also provide you the required study materials.They keep you informed about your progress and tell your areas of improvement as well. They provide the certificate of completion at the end of the courses.
All in all, These are the certain things you can keep in your mind while working in a corporate world. As the environment is dynamic, we have to change things accordingly and try to adjust our workplace.