If you have a single-family home in California with residential zoning, then you are eligible to build a Garage Conversion ADU on your property. However, different cities have different requirements while converting your ADU unit into a rental unit.
If you are thinking about building an ADU in Los Angeles, then you should contact Done Right Home Remodeling Los Angeles. Let us know how you can convert your garage into a room.
Rules to follow for garage conversion
- The ADU unit should be on the same property and a single primary residence should exist on the property. The ADU cannot be a part of any property that belongs to someone who is not the owner of the primary residence.
- The ADU unit should be attached or detached to the main residence but it should not be a standalone structure. You can build a legal 2nd unit by obtaining approval from your local planning department.
- The owner or tenant who has a lease agreement for at least one/two year must stay in the ADU unit. Moreover, you have to live in both the units simultaneously to call it a legal second unit.
- The ADU unit should provide utility and space efficiency to the primary residence. It must have an independent kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom even if the space is too small.
- The ADU unit should have a minimum square footage of 100 square feet and a maximum of 1200 square feet. It should have a separate entrance from the main residence.
Requirements to build a garage conversion ADU unit
- First of all, you have to hire an ADU specialist in your locality. They will provide you with all the necessary information regarding the ADU ordinance.
- You will require a permit to build your ADU unit as there is a demand for more living space.
- You need to arrange materials that include concrete, wood, wiring, plumbing, other construction materials, and furniture or decorative items.
Convert your garage into an ADU unit
You need to make the following changes to the garage to build an ADU unit in place of your garage.
- You can convert the wide, open garage door into the walls of your ADU unit. You can build a small door as you have in your house. This will serve as the entrance of your ADU unit.
- You have to focus on the wiring. Usually, our garages do not have proper electrical wiring. But if you want to build a separate house in that place, then you have to think about wiring it properly.
- You need to work on plumbing as garages do not have any plumbing done in them. So, you need to do plumbing so that you can get water supply in that unit.
- Garages often have no or poor insulation compared to the main residential unit. So, you have to think about insulating your ADU unit before you finish the walls. This will help your space to be climate-controlled.
- Garages do not have high-end flooring installed. So, you have to replace the concrete flooring of your garage and install your favorite flooring. If there is a slope, you can use hardwood flooring and get it covered by a carpet to make it safe for everyone.
- You need to install heating and cooling systems in your ADU unit to keep the area climate-controlled.
- Paint is one of the most important factors that you need to do in your ADU unit. You will need a fresh coat as you are required to update the wall with new paint. Painting your walls with new paint will make the area look beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.
- Finally, you have to work on the aesthetics of the space by adding furniture, lights, mirrors, rugs, cushions, and curtains.
Garage conversion has a lot of benefits as it provides extra space in your home. However, you need to hire a professional contractor to convert your garage into an ADU unit.