Whether you’re moving house or want to declutter your life, the average size of a household can accumulate a lot of stuff. Sometimes, knowing what to do with these items can be hard. Storage units can solve many problems for people with space issues. Whether you are looking to declutter a home before the Movers Kitchener arrive, store seasonal items, or protect precious belongings, there are numerous reasons someone might need a storage unit. Finding the right solution takes careful planning and consideration of all options. Fortunately, storage facilities offer a variety of sizes and styles to meet any need. From long-term to short-term rentals, there is something to fit every type of situation. With proper research and organization, storage facilities offer the perfect solution for your storage needs.
Types of storage units
When looking for a storage solution, it is important to first consider the type of items you will be storing. Many storage facilities offer different sizes and styles to fit your needs. Click here for more info on storage and professional movers near you.
Here are some of the most popular types of storage units:
Climate-Controlled Units: These units protect items from extreme temperatures, humidity, dust, and other environmental hazards. They are ideal for storing delicate items such as artwork, electronics, documents, and antiques.
Security-Controlled Units: These units are equipped with security cameras, lighting, and locks to protect your belongings from theft or damage.
Outdoor Storage Units: These units provide convenience for storing large items that don’t require climate control.
Preparing Your Belongings for Storage
Once you have decided on the type of storage unit you need, it is important to properly prepare your belongings before moving them into the unit. Before you start packing your belongings for storage, there are a few important steps you should take to ensure that when you open up the container is for everything to be covered in dust, dampness or worse, mould. So, here are some top tips from professional movers on how to prepare your items before they go into storage:
1. Clean and dry all items before packing them away. Even the smallest amount of water can make mould grow, so ensure your items are thoroughly dried off before putting them into self-storage. This will also discourage pests from entering the unit.
2. Wrap Fragile Items: Use packing materials that are designed specifically for storage, such as bubble wrap and packing paper. These will better protect your items from dust and humidity while in transit or in storage.
3. Take photos of any expensive items such as furniture, electronics or antiques you plan to store in case you ever need to make a claim.
4. Disassemble any furniture before you pack it away so that it takes up less room when stored and can be easily accessed when needed.
5. Label all boxes clearly with the contents inside. This will be handy if you ever need to find something in storage or when you are moving items out of storage.
6. Place heavier items at the bottom of boxes and stack lighter items on top. This will keep all your belongings safe while they’re in transit or stored away.
7. Make sure everything is kept off the floor by using shelving or pallets so air can still circulate around your items, preventing mould growth and keeping them dry and dust-free.
8. Use barriers such as shrink wrap and plastic covers to deter pests.
9. For long-term storage, consider using a climate-controlled unit to protect your items from extreme temperature fluctuations.
10. Keep a detailed list of everything you store and the location of each item in your unit. This will come in handy when you access items from storage or move them out.
12. Have a plan for moving items in and out of your storage unit. Depending on the number of items you need to transport, you can use rental trucks or hire professional movers.
11. The last step is to make sure you have adequate insurance in place so your items are covered no matter what.
Storing your belongings in a storage facility is a great way to free up space at home, protect your possessions from damage, and keep them safe until you need them. Following the steps outlined above should help ensure that your items stay safe while in storage. With the right planning and preparation, you can trust that your possessions will remain safe until you are ready to use them again! Click here for more info on storage and professional movers near you.
Good luck with your storage needs, and happy packing!